Position: Manufacturing Egineer
Location: Waverly, IA - We Offer Relocation Assistance to Non-local Applicants
Type: Direct Hire
Pay: Competitive Starting Wage - Based on Experience
Avialable Shifts: 1st shift
This employee is responsible for startup and ongoing support to assigned portfolio of products, including engineering change orders, product life cycle including enhancements and ultimately obsolescence, working with continuous improvement engineering to ensure improving productivity with a reducing cost basis, and working with operations to ensure we are producing high quality parts delivered on time. The Mfg. Engineer will be the customer’s primary contact at GMT for all product related issues regarding the Mfg. Engineer’s assigned portfolio of products.
II. Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides overall project leadership towards the launch of all new products at GMT. Launches new projects, insuring smooth handoff from estimating, through startup and into production.
- Ensures all projects startup on time, on budget, producing quality parts at estimated rates.
- Follows APQP process though launch, responsible for all internal / external parties’ execution of each section. Creates and maintains timelines of current projects, communicating progress successes and challenges to the leadership team.
- Manages the purchase of all fixtures, jigs, machinery, gaging, etc. necessary for completed components. Designs and supervises internal fixture/jig builds.
- Responsible for submitting customer required documentation, including PPAP. Also completes all internal control plans, work instructions and ERP part setup.
- Maintains complete knowledge of assigned products, manufacturing methods, future revisions, quality challenges and continuous improvement.
- Builds working relationship with all customer engineering and quality contacts.
- Analyzes changes in demand forecast with Operations Team, working to find solutions to maintain 98% on-time delivery goals.
- Performs root cause analysis to product quality issues. Works in conjunction with all quality departments (GMT, customer and supplier) to determine implement long term solutions.
- Leads continuous improvement projects to remove waste from the manufacturing processes.
- Insures ERP system is updated continuously for any adjustments in the manufactured products. Reports positive and negative updates to the leadership team.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
Ability to lead a small project team of varying disciplines, including machine operators, maintenance staff, floor leads, engineers and quality personnel.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical- Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complete data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Delegation- Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Gives authority to work independently; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities; Provides recognitions for results.
- Managing People- Limited to Project Lead. Includes support staff in planning, decisions-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates’ activities; Makes self-available to support staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates’ skills and encourages growth; Fosters quality focus in others.
- Planning/Organizing- Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Set goals and objectives; Develops realistic action plans.
- Quality Management-Employee is responsible for leading or facilitating the work efforts and evaluating/improving the performance of business processes, employees and machines to meet or exceed the goals for the GMT Corporation in a safe, organized, and efficient fashion.
- Problem Solving/Strategic Thinking- Analyzes specific safety, business and production processes or quality problems for the purpose of identifying the root cause(s) of the problem and assist with the development of recommendations for short and long-term resolution.
- Leadership experience and Style – His/her leadership style will need to be based on the Servanthood leadership model with characteristics that include transparency, process based, a relentless drive for results, discernment and collaboration at all levels of the organization.
Education & Experience
- Four (4) years Bachelor’s degree in either Engineer or Industrial Technology from an accredited college or university.
- Eight (8+) years of experience and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous experience with CNC machining, welding, plate cutting, fixtures, tooling, weld jigs, ISO systems and CNC programming.
- Guided by the objectives, values, and mission statement of GMT, the individual will provide leadership and vision necessary to ensure that the company, division, and department achieve established goals.
- Serves as a role model and represents GMT Corporation inside and outside the Company to promote GMT’s values and build up strong community relationships.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as customer prints, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports, correspondence, and commendations. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Adept in 3D and 2D CAD systems, preferably PTC Creo
- Proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, Word and other MS Office applications.
- Job requires the ability to understand Company’s Syteline MRP.
- Job requires knowledge and understanding of Process Planning Software.
VI. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk, sit (at desk) and bend at the waist.
- While performing duties of this job, the employee may be required to manipulate large parts using overhead lifting devices and precise measuring equipment such as computer probes, tooling, gauges, and fixtures.
- May be required to lift up to 50 pounds.
VII. WORK ENVIRONMENT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and may be exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate/high. The employee is often exposed to machines and moving parts.